There are a lot of things about living here in Germany that I don't really care for. There are things that I miss dearly back in Texas and Minnesota. It is no secret that I am pretty homesick. The adjustment to life here has been pretty tough for me. But there are things that I love, love, love here.
Take Fall, for example...it exists here!! Crisp air, changing colors, falling leaves..all here! Weather in the 40's, sweaters everywhere, fur lined coats, and boots everyday...this is my thing. This makes me happy down deep into my soul. It is just built into me to love this. Makes me feel at home.
Every corner I turn and almost every window ledge has one of these beauties in it. This makes me smile every time I see one. I have always loved orchids. I was nervous to try to keep one until a few years ago, and after my first successful attempt I was a like a crazy cat lady who couldn't stop...except I was bringing home clearanced orchids that obviously needed a home and some love ;) After moving here I noticed that everyone here has an affinity for these as well...it must be in my blood!
*My crazy orchid lady status was secured for sure when I transported all my orchids 1200 miles to Minnesota for safe keeping while I came here...I just couldn't throw them or put them by the curb*
This picture was sent to me by my cousin Steffi who lives here.
We are clearly related. This is one of 3 or 4 that she has, lol!!
It was so crispy beautiful out this weekend we decided to go and do something outdoors with the kids. This is a local farm and about a 15 min drive from our flat. I'm not sure how long the weather will last like this before it gets colder and my Texas babies freeze every where we go.
Pedal go-karts.
Some seriously giant king pumpkins.
Heading out into the corn maze.
They found the middle and climbed to the top of the haystack.
Tractor made of gourds!
We fed the bunnies and guinea pigs.
We fed the donkeys and geese.
So many fun things to play with. The parks here in Germany seem to have some of the simplest of toys that are absolutely genius! Kids young and old play endlessly with these "primitive" toys.
*Happy heart*
And...we fed the bunnies and guinea pigs once or twice more before we left. Kids and animals..there is an undeniable magnetism there. They could have done this ALL day.
There was also a market gift shop that was filled with homemade goodness, jellies, jams, sauces, meats, candles, decor, trinkets, local seasonal wines and beer, baked goods... all the things you could need.
This pumpkin champagne and some hagebutten wine may have come home with me.
*Hagebutten=rose hips=delicious in anything*
All in all a really fun afternoon being outside, enjoying the weather, and running off some toddler
energy. Sometimes a girl just needs to do something to take her mind off of the things we don't love.
Thankfully I have someone great in my life who knows the remedy...fresh air, family, and friends!
Now I need to find something to do with these pumpkins we brought home...who has a great recipe with pumpkin in it they want to share?? What is your favorite fall pumpkin dish? Share if you can!!


No comments:
Post a Comment